Re: HYB: hybridizer's selection/hardiness

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 1/28/1999 8:15:42 PM Eastern Standard Time, lmann@icx.net

<< And regional awards for gardenability, among irises that have already
 won an HM or AM.  No considerations of flower (other than that they
 manage to produce them!) >>

Interesting that you should bring this up.  I've pondered the same
possibilities myself.  In fact, Dr. Hollingworth had proposed an "all
American" award for a siberian while he was President of the SSI, and it may
still be under consideration.

This is what the daylily society does..... they choose one daylily each year -
which has been in commerce for at least 10 years... is readily available and
grows reliably anywhere in the US.    I may have the criteria a little skewed,
but that's more or less the requirements.  This daylily gets a special award -
the Lenington Award - and I as a consumer know I can buy that plant with

The hosta society has a separate but related organization made up of hosta
growers.  The GROWERS themselves select a "hosta of the year" each year.  This
is, again, a plant that grows reliably... is readily available... is
attractive and has all the qualities you'd want in a hosta (slug resistence
and so on).

I think these kind of awards are meaningful.

One way to approach this in irisdom might be your regional popularity poll.
It can be presumed that any iris that remains on the poll for several years
must be surviving... and more!

Interesting possibilities here, seems to me.

Kathy Guest
fingers itchin' for catalogs....