Re: New Subject: Judges Training

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 1/29/1999 6:29:57 AM Eastern Standard Time, Maslon@aol.com

<< now I have been in the AIS for about 3 years do I qualify for pre-judging
 materail >>

Very definately.   Taking judges training will make you a better iris grower -
even if you decide you don't want to be a judge.  It helps you to train your
eye so you see the whole plant... not just the pretty flower.

The VERY first thing you need to do is to order a copy of the judges training
manual from Nancy and Irv Pocklington (609 Harrington Street, Carlinville, IL
62626-1230 - $15, check payable to AIS).  When you receive it, read through to
get an idea how we judge an iris - both in the garden and on the show bench.

You should also notify your RVP of your intentions to participate in the
Judges Training program.... this is necessary so that your RVP will be aware
of your interest and be ready when you qualify for apprentice status.

In order to advance in the program, you will need to have 10 hours of
training, taking a written test at the end of each session.  KEEP TRACK OF
YOUR TRAINING... although many RVP's will also keep records, the
responsibility is really your own (I keep a form right in my handbook and
write down any training I receive).

When you have received your 10 hours, you will need to get the recommendation
of 5 accredited judges that you be advanced to apprentice status.

There is usually judges training offered in each region at least one a year.
There are always sessions offered at conventions and such too.  Maybe as we
get slicker, we can offer a listing of judges training schools scheduled
quarterly - but for now, this list is a great place to learn of sessions
within your travel distance.

Good for you for being interested in the training.  You'll find yourself far
more aware of your irises .... and a better person for it!  (<--- I made the
last part up.... I almost added that it would make you rich too)

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY - Garden Judge