Re: HYB: Hardiness

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/28/99 8:37:26 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tmilchh@aol.com

> Dear Jim,
>       Thanks for the tip as to how to get some irises to put out increases.
>  plan to nick some of mine, and I hope you don't mind my passing on this
>  information to the Bluegrass Iris Society, I am alway writing tips in my
>  newsletter, but I promise that if I use your tip, I will use your name,too.
>       Annette Milch    Lexington, KY   Zone 5/6   TMilchh@aol.com
Hi Annette,

You don't have to use my name this was told to me by other iris individuals
not  my idea. I would love to hear if others have some interesting tips that
we may use.

Anyone on here grow "Pixie Prince"? It's a BB and the most gorgeous pink iris
I have ever seen. But has one problem....it's just sits there from year to
year without putting up much increase. I have had this iris 5 years now but
have only seen it bloom 2 of those years. Reason I am growing this iris is in
hopes of crossing it with one that will grow and hopefully get one of this
intense pink color. But I am having a problem as of this date have yet to get
a seedling that will grow. Also the other problem is...this iris blooms so
late that your lucky to have anything in bloom. I am hoping this past year I
may have hit it lucky maybe someone can tell me. I was able to set the pollen
in "Awakening" a plicata pink. If my memory serves me correctly the pink
should be dominate of the plicata and therefore I should get mostly pinks. Of
course not saying any will be as intense or will grow. This is the first time
I have actually gotten to make a cross that I really wanted to make with
"Pixie Prince". I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that grows for fun because
of the very slow increase. I started with 4 rhizomes originally and after 5
years still have 5 rhizomes.

Another tip coming up.....Perry Dyer mentioned to me if I really wanted to get
this iris to increase in order to get enough blooms to set in a year for
crossing that I should take and left this clump out of the ground put a shovel
of manure underneath. He doesn't advise gardners to do this but hybridizers
can in hopes of getting more increase and therefore more bloomstalks. You
better believe I am going to be trying this method.

						Jim LOveland...Fenton, MO