Re: TB: red-bearded blacks

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/28/99 6:13:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rmeuir@mail.coin.missouri.edu writes:

> I think Jim Loveland told me he had lost Tom Johnson. Is that true Jim,
>  and what were the circumstances?

Randy,
Yes I lost "Tom Johnson" and "Night Game" both were fairly close together.
Both were planted in newly done beds with new topsoil not clay. I lost a total
of 5 iris in these 4 beds that are together. There are approximately a total
of 100 iris or more in these 4 beds. I must say others of Keppels and Blacks
that survived. But also to be fair to these iris I still feel that these very
same iris will grow in another garden in our area. It's a matter of location
in some cases and other cases the makeup of the soil. I must say again I don't
pamper my iris I grow to many to pamper them and these 2 iris died the
following spring after purchasing. I don't ask hybridizers to replace for the
simple reason I don't take protect them the first winter.  Now if I lost most
of the new intro's I ordered I would ask him or her to replace but this has
never happened. Also "Local Color" is planted in one of these beds and is
growing like a weed.

Has anyone seen "Zebra Night"  a 1998 intro by Brad Kasperek? I was sent this
as a sub the year before it was introduced and must say....folks if you like
varigated foliage and a dark bloom this is diffently the iris for you. Also
this iris grows very well!!! Also the varigation is very prominent on this
iris. Watch for this one to go a long way...my 1999 prediction.

							Jim LOveland, Fenton, MO