Re: HYB: hybridizer's selection/hardiness

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/28/99 7:04:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, Irisborer@aol.com

>  One way to approach this in irisdom might be your regional popularity poll.
>  It can be presumed that any iris that remains on the poll for several years
>  must be surviving... and more!
>  Interesting possibilities here, seems to me.
>  Kathy Guest

I like your idea. I also feel for the publics sake we need to have awards that
will show an iris is good for a particular area or zone. It's a darn good
idea...now I nominate you to bring this up at the AIS Spring Board Meeting.

Also something else we need to do as growers and club members. I have noticed
members bringing iris for the table sale that they don't like because of
growth habits or etc. This I feel is also doing harm...why bring something for
the public to buy that you yourself won't grow because of not growing. We all
need to offer iris that will grow and look good in the garden. There are iris
TB's especially I am referring to that do have nice clean foliage.

Another area where we as judges can improve is by not voting an iris an AM or
higher when we niotice it  has very bad foliage. I can think of 2 in
particular both are late 80's iris and must admit are very very pretty. But
this doesn't mean we give them AM award because they are gorgeous iris. Also I
don't want to portray that we shouldn't have fun doing what we are doing! We
diffently should have fun!!! That's the main reason I got into this was to
have fun and meet fun people. I must admit I have met many many wonderful iris
individuals most are ready to offer advice if you ask. I will be attending my
first AIS convention in Oklahoma City this coming year if all goes well. Have
planned on going to the past 3 prior but things never worked out. So hopefully
I will get to meet lots of you there! I am looking forward to it...Warning
though....I am very hard person to get to know ask Crista or Randy. <laughing>

					Jim LOveland, Fenton, Mo