Re: CULT: Bloom-out was HYB: Hardiness

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 1/29/99 8:46:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, MARKM@tc.gc.ca

>  THANK YOU, Jim.  It seems that only the really neat and different ones seem
>  to sit and languish.  Red on yellow plicatas seem to do this and I've given
>  up on OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE.  I love it when it blooms (great show stalks) but
>  it has only bloomed twice in the five or more years that I've had it.  It
>  seems to put out one increase only when it wants to, then it takes at least
>  a year or to grow to a size when it would bloom.
>  I'll try your method on some of the newer ones that I haven't given up on
>  yet.
>  Maureen Mark
Your welcome..As i mentioned this doesn't always work.

Ready for another TIP? How many add clay to your soil when preparing the bed
for iris? I bet your ready to say your crazy! Well we add "Turface" to the
beds at Missouri Botanical Gardens. This is baked clay and believe it or not
'kitty litter' is a bi-product of "Turface". What this does is lets the iris
roots breathe and also keeps the soil very loose. We add this each time we
redo the beds. Now for home use I buy 'kitty litter' unscented which has
worked well for me. Try a small bed using 'kitty litter' and prepare the ved
otherwise as you normally would. Tell me what you think.

Does anyone like the old tailored look in iris's? Ones that had no ruffles
such as "Tabasco".  I had over 30 comments from the public as they visited my
garden last spring about "Tabasco" which leads me to believe we should have
some delicate looking TB's without ruffles.

Question: Can you have substance in a bloom without the leathery look?
Substance is what helps the flower sustain weather and last at least 3 days.

The answer is yes..."Suky" is a good example. We had a couple of days last
spring in the upper 90's and "Suky" looked as if it had melted. That evening
the bloom looked as good as it had the day it opened and also was good for 4
days even in the heat. Believe it or not there are lots of iris available
without the leathery feel that will hold up under adverse conditions.

						Jim Loveland   Fenton, MO
									Just west of St. Louis