Re: TB: red on yellow

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Two more recently acquired red on yellow plicatas that have shown promise
here are TURANDOT (Carr, '92) and LIGHTNING STREAK (Gibson, '92).

I picked up TURANDOT without knowing a thing about it at the Salt Lake City
rhizome sale in '96 because someone had brought about a bushel basket of
humongous rhizomes, which suggested it might have a certain degree of
vigor. The red in this one is from the purple side - almost a beetroot
color. Both TURANDOT and LS had stunted stalks in '97 (a year when the
effects of late frosts were pretty severe here), but in '98 (admittedly a
fabulous bloom season) LS had 10 three foot stalks and was in bloom for
four full weeks, while TURANDOT (which is BIG all over) had 9 four foot
stalks and was in bloom from late May almost to the end of June.

BTW, I grew HOT STREAK in the early '90's. It was a vividly colored flower,
but as a plant it never really took hold here and I gave up on trying to
grow it after a few years.