Re: Hybridizing and age

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 1/30/1999 9:13:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hirundo@tricon.net writes:

<< First question, of course, in reading of some of these 20 year projects,
 is whether it is worth the trouble to even start getting involved at age 59
 (yes, my mother is 87 and still plants trees, so I understand the
 optimistic side of it).  >>

If I may jump in here..... it depends on what you're hybridizing for.  If
you're hybridizing for commercial success and for improvement of the
cultivar... you might be looking at the 20 year time frame (but, so what... 20
years will pass whether you do it or don't do it...).  But if you're
hybridizing for the thrill of creating something from nothing... GO FOR IT.

IMHO, I think that hyridizing is a creative process.  And whether you're doing
something creative for the world or for your soul, it's worth doing.

And back to the commercial success part.... I think you picked the wrong plant
if that's your hope  <-:   Quick...change to Chinese tree peonies <LOL>

Kathy Guest
E. Aurora, NY Z 6-ish - who says that in order to learn about hybridizing 101
- ask your club to invite a local hybridizer to give a program.