HYB:Hybridizing and age

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> In a message dated 1/30/1999 9:13:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> hirundo@tricon.net writes:
>
> << First question, of course, in reading of some of these 20 year
projects,
>  is whether it is worth the trouble to even start getting involved
at age 59

   If you look at the ancestry of most introductions, it is just one
iris crossed to another. Some hybridizers like Keppel and Ghio have
long, involved lines that go back generations, but most do not. So
with just one generation cross, you're looking at maybe two-three
years to bloom and five years to have enough to introduce, if it is
good enough.
   Besides, rumor has it that irisarians live longer because we wanna
see what will bloom next year...

==
Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6
In some cultures, what I do would be considered normal!