Re: Hybridizing and age

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/30/1999 8:24:15 AM Central Standard Time,
Irisborer@aol.com writes:

 IMHO, I think that hyridizing is a creative process.  And whether you're
 something creative for the world or for your soul, it's worth doing.>>
Bravo, Kathy.  (I'm in total agreement) AND several important advances in
irises have come in back yard gardens.  When you're 101 and can't hold the
tweezer/brush anymore, someone you've met on here might be willing to pick up
the torch!

<<Kathy Guest
 E. Aurora, NY Z 6-ish - who says that in order to learn about hybridizing 101
 - ask your club to invite a local hybridizer to give a program.

Excellent idea.  I can't speak for other hybridizers, but I've always been
willing to 'show and tell' in any garden that has irises in bloom.  I've shown
people how to make a cross in the set-up room while a show was in progress,
using leftover flowers.  The latter has it's drawbacks because one poor soul
wanted to know if the flower had to be growing.  I guess he got confused
because I was using a cut stalk to demonstrate!  We all live and learn.

Betty from Kentucky