HYB: Zonals and Other Patterns

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> >Where does a signal pattern stop and a zonal begin?  And if it is a
> >pattern being described, why would color make any difference?
> >Donald Eaves

The reason for distinguishing between signal and zonal patterns in bearded
irises is that the genetic mechanisms that produce them are totally
distinct. In bearded irises a signal is a contrasting patch of darker or
more concentrated pigment around the beard. The genes for producing this
effect do not exist within the basic TB gene pool - signals must ultimately
be derived from crosses to certain aril or dwarf bearded species. The zonal
pattern, which is a contrasting lighter patch around the beard (and
possibly in the standards as well) apparently is derived from within the TB
gene pool.

> Jan Clark writes:
> I have heard these zonals called luminatas by some people, and other
> comments to the effect that they are part of the plicata pattern. There
> seems to be confusion here. Does anyone know? If you cross a zonal (say
> DIVINE) with a luminata (say SPIRIT WORLD) what sort of pattern would
> you get? Or will I just have to find out for myself?

The basic zonal pattern appears to be genetically distinct from any of the
named effects produced by the plicata series of alleles. Many of the zonals
that have been listed by Mike Lowe and others have no detectable plicata
ancestry, and therefore should be distinguished from similar appearing
luminatas or heavily pigmented plicatas, at least for breeding purposes.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com