Re: HYB: Pollen Dauber's Seminar in OKC

From: StorYlade@aol.com

In a message dated 1/30/1999 8:13:02 AM Central Standard Time,
hirundo@tricon.net writes:

<<  First question, of course, in reading of some of these 20 year projects,
 is whether it is worth the trouble to even start getting involved at age 59

You don't HAVE to have a 20 year project.  Walk out your back door during
bloom season, look over the irises you have in bloom, pick your two favorites
and make a cross.  See, wasn't that simple?

If your cross is wide--I love amoenas X plicatas--the results will be wild and
unexpected.  Reverse the cross too to see the difference.  You'll get all
kinds of stuff.  And some may be fantastic beyond your belief.  They will be
different.

If your wide cross is say Red X White you WILL get a lot of junk, but you
could get something great.  Personally I'd like to see a red with the flower
form of say Silverado that grows well in all 4 corners.  If you cross yellow
to yellow, most of your seedlings will be yellow, but maybe you'll get that
breakthrough that gives the form of Speculation, the color of Catalyst with
the growing and blooming stamina and rebloom of Corn Harvest.  Or maybe you'd
like to reintroduce the lace from Lime Fizz.  (This one only produces pollen
under certain conditions.)

Have fun, and just do it.

Betty from Ky where we're getting ready for another week of rain.  Irises look
terrible, but they can easily recover by April 1 when I normally start looking
for bloom stalks.