Re: HYB: Zonals and Other Patterns

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

Jeff Walters writes:
>The basic zonal pattern appears to be genetically distinct from any >of
the named effects produced by the plicata series of alleles. Many >of
the zonals that have been listed by Mike Lowe and others have no
>detectable plicata ancestry, and therefore should be distinguished
>from similar appearing luminatas or heavily pigmented plicatas, at
>least for breeding purposes.

So the difference between similar appearing zonals and luminatas is..?

I have followed similar threads in the past (archives) and looked for
information in any number of iris books, but still see much confusion.

Does a cv have to have plicata ancestry to come up with luminata's (or
for that matter Glaciatas) in it's offspring? I thought the answer to
this would be no, as the luminata is a different expression of the
plicata gene. Surely a cv could carry pl-lu genes without having any pl
genes in its ancestry. Is there something wrong with this thinking? That
is why I asked what would happen if I crossed a 'zonal' with a luminata.
Has anyone done this?
Walter? Bill? Sharon? ..........is there anyone out there?  :-))

Searching for enlightenment - Jan Clark, in Australia