Re: HYB: CULT: Essig

From: Linda Mann <lmann@icx.net>

I wrote:
> > > In the front of the 1939 checklists, in the biography of Essig, it says
> > > he was interested in scientific breeding and selection for hardiness.
and Jeff Walters replied:
> Does anyone know how he went about doing this since he was located in
> Berkeley, California, which is USDA Zone 9/ Sunset Zone 17?

The same thought crossed my mind...

But Barb Johnson, farther west (20 inches annual rainfall drier) and the
map says 3 zones north (colder) in the land of the rollercoaster,
replied with names of several Essig irises.  Barb you mentioned sources,
but not whether you grow them yourself.  Do you grow those you listed?
How does their performance compare to.. I dunno what.. anything..modern
TBs?  historics that weren't "scientifically hybridized and selected for
hardiness"?

If Essig had friends and relatives in worse climates, maybe he sent his
seedlings around the country to be tested?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA
Jeff - maybe some more clues!