Re: The Black List

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

Walter Moores wrote:

>         The black listed irises were discussed sometime ago (maybe two years
> back), but I am sure you could find this in the archives.

Actually it was 6/7/97 and certainly worth reopening a discussion about.

Anner Whitehead (now HIPSOURCE@AOL>COM) wrote:

Chris asked:

 <<I would be quite interested in viewing the contents of this
 famous/infamous AIS black list. Could someone advise as to where it may
 be found in printed form? How long is the list? Was it an annual
 edition/compilation for a number of years or a once only happening?
 Interesting item. >>

 There is an article on this subject, the officially sanctioned AIS
Blacklist,
 in the Fall '91 issue of ROOTS, the journal of the Historic Iris Preservation
 Society (HIPS), the special interest group of AIS dedicated to irises more
 than thirty years old. It quotes the AIS Bulletin in 1925 thus:

 " By vote of the Directors, January 29, 1925, the following varieties of Tall
 Bearded Irises are considered as unworthy of further propagation. All members
 should refrain from assisting in their dissemination whether by purchase, by
 sale, by exchange, or by gift."

 There follows a long list of pariahs, most of which are obscure, but some of
 which are  startling, e.g. HONORABILE, PLUMERI, HARLEQUIN and CHENODOLLE.
 There was also a White List and this is also printed in the article.

 Back issues of ROOTS are available for $4.00 each, including postage, and may
 be ordered from HIPS Publications Director Ruth Simmons, Rt. 1, Box 67,
 Walters, OK 73572.

 Anner Whitehead, Richmond, VA

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Visit my website at: