Re: HYB:CULT: let's talk about seeds baby...

A minor change in subject here.  I have not really paid attention to this
before (probably because I'm lazy about harvesting my seeds sometimes, and
tend to forget until the pods are totally dry and most of the seeds are on
the grand); but, I've noticed in the last few days that when the pods open,
the seeds are still moist and white.  By the end of the same day they are
hard and brown.  Could be the dry climate causing the pods to open
prematurely, but I don't think so.  The pods start to turn pale and
dehydrated one day, and the next day the tip of the pod starts to dry and
split open.  By the end of the second day the pod is open and almost dry,
and the seeds are rattling around and ready to be blown out.  By the third
day, the seeds are usually gone, and the pod is totally dry and shrunken to
about two thirds or half its original size.  By the fourth day the stalk is
brown and dry to the base, leaves and all.

Most interesting is the fact that the seeds are white and fairly soft when
the pod splits.  This is really noticeable in I. pallida clones, as the
seeds are very large and oblong when white, and shrink to half their
original size and become brown and wrinkled in a few hours.  In I. x
germanica and some of the other IB's the seeds are mostly smooth and round
before and after they dry, and they don't shrink nearly so much.  And, so
it varies through the rest of the beardeds.

My spuria pods at the Bot. Garden all got trimmed off by well meaning
gardeners this year, and the ones at home had no pods, so no observing
possible there this year.  My yellow-seeded I. foetidissima pods are really
slow to ripen, since they set in late March (I think, or maybe it was early
April?) and are still totally green with no sign of splitting yet.