Re: HYB:CULT: let's talk about seeds (counts) baby...

well,

last year I had one pod as low as seven, that was on GREEN PROPHECY.  This
year I harvested a pod which contained 71 seeds that looked viable of GP.
When I peeled open one compartment the seeds looked exactly like an ear of
corn three rows across.  There were between 10 and 20 that I discarded as
not looking viable (they had 'company' in the pod so some of the seeds were,
uh, lets just say 'soiled')

Over on AFTER THE DAWN (X GP)  there were only 39 which was the lowest count
this year.   But that (39) was more than any of my pods contained last year.

This year I either had had both really nice fluffy pollen AND really
receptive lips or  NO pollen and NO receptivity.  But I've got a few crosses
that I'm really excited about this year, which I couldn't say last year,
since it was my first year and everything that caught last year had
SILVERADO in it.  (nothing against S just didn't want to have to reselect
through 103 white seedlings.)

I dunno about the genetic compatibility theory, especially with
whoseewhatsit throwing around the theory that a pod could be produced
without any introduction of pollen at all.  I think that the genetic
compatibility of cross cannot be evaluated until you have a plant to
evaluate.  I've seen foals at 21 days on ultrasound that looked like the
healthiest thing you ever saw begin to dematerialize by 30 days.  ...  i
think I'm rambling...

christian
ky