RE: Hybridizing Seed set

Weather seems to have a large effect on pod setting and on pollen. For me this year is very dry (especially so during TB season) and many plants didn;t produce pollen while same cultivars in places close by (less the 100 miles) did have pollen. Even so I have a very high take rate this year. As we are still going its hard to tell exactly but certainly much higher then last year which was very low (about 10% of TBs). Also many bee or spontaneous pods this year.

Self Fertility: This is a gentically determined thing refered to as Self Sterility. SDB have less plants that are self sterile and TBs have many more. In plants having self sterility this often also includes siblings and parents, and children in self sterility pool because of close genetic resemblence and containing whatever triggers this. Makes it difficult to reinforce some interesting patterns.
Northward Ho is one plant that regularly produces self pods here and in many other locations, and some of the seedlings are very nice. One of these  selfed Northward Ho seedlings won best seedling at reblooming show last year in Maryland.