HYB: TB: Color lines

What are the usual results when one crosses one of these imbrued irises,
i.e. Happenstance, with others outside of the line?  I guess I should
know in a few years as I have that one crossed with pinks from several
other hybridizers that don't have common ancestry.  I hope the results
are good, but in any case they should be interesting.
My cross of New Leaf, Ghio luminata, with Ernst's highly imbrued Ring
Around Rosie proved to be a disaster.  Those that survived the first
summer die off, produced short, deformed stalks, large deformed flowers
and are now pineappling and rotting.  It was enough to cause me to leave
plicata breeding to the experts.  However beauties like Lovely Dawn
tempt me to try again.
Any comments, anyone?
Francelle Edwards    Glendale,  AZ   Zone 9