Re: Cult:, Ref: Iris Mulch Study- speaking of that bulletin

In a message dated 6/30/2003 3:05:39 PM Central Standard Time,
showtime@bbtel.com writes:

> Of course it looks like Betty has decided that that
> article is hooey for her anyway...  lol.

Christian, I don't know what, specifically, you are referring too.

All I know, or stated, is what has worked for me in my climate and
conditions.

I can't, and don't, speak for anyone down the road, across the state, or
across the nation. I've not read this particular article recently, and don't
recall the zone, weather, conditions, etc. that were addressed in the article.

If the reference is to pine needles, they have a high oil content and shed
the rain, while drying rather quickly.  So far they have not promoted rot or any
other problems FOR ME.  The landscape fabric is a problem IF you fail to
split the fabric as the clumps grow. IN MY EXPERIENCE, the rhizomes will attempt
to grow out and over the fabric leading to poor root contact with the soil.

I know of people that have proven, to their own satisfaction, that irises
that live among rank weeds do not have as much disease, leaf spot and the like,
as those in bare soil. The weeds reduce the splash factor. However, IT HAS BEEN
MY EXPERIENCE, that they also do not grow as well as irises maintained
without the weed cover!

If one has both the time and the energy, I've found that a dust mulch works
the best. This method was described by D. Niswonger several years back. I
believe the article was in the Bulletin.

Guess iris life is a trade off! FOR ME, anyway.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 (having fun with new seedlings, while
experiencing even MORE anomalies!)