Re: HYB: TB: Color lines

My cross of New Leaf, Ghio luminata, with Ernst's highly imbrued Ring
Around Rosie proved to be a disaster.  It was enough to cause me to leave
plicata breeding to the experts.
Any comments, anyone?

Francelle Edwards    Glendale,  AZ   Zone 9

Francelle:

So far, I haven't introduced anything.  Mostly, I am just very picky.  I find
plicatas to be very satisfying bloodlines to work with, however.  I have had a
number of plicata seedlings that were comparable to fairly recent
introductions by good hybridizers; just not (in my opinion) superior.  I'm
looking for something really outstanding, or unique.  Remember, the experts
throw away at least 95% of their seedlings; they just have bigger seedling
beds AND work with the BEST breeding stock.  Next year I'll see how Laugh
Lines worked as a parent; the following year my Louisa's Song and Painted From
Memory seedlings should start blooming.  Double Click crosses are still in the
pod.  One early bloom from a Double Dribble cross looks discouraging.  The
first two blooms from a Honky Tonk Blues x Larry Gaulter cross were
surprisingly bad.  My favorite successful cross this year (I can't wait!) was
Tuscan Villa x Secret Service.

But your cross was not a plicata cross at all.  New Leaf is a luminata (very
short, weaker than most of Ghio's for me).  Ring Around Rosie is something
else; I don't know if that pattern has a name, but it is not genetically a
plicata either.  If one of the two were a plicata, plic x non-plic mixed
breeding can give some ugly babies.  Both of the two parents you used can have
open standards.  Maybe that cross wasn't worth repeating, but don't get
discouraged on plic x plic or plic x luminata crosses; I happen to love those
wild & fancy plicatas.

John Reeds
lamegardener@msn.com

-