HYB: TB: Color lines

Francelle Edwards asks:
"What are the usual results when one crosses one of these imbrued irises,
i.e. Happenstance, with others outside of the line?  I guess I should
know in a few years as I have that one crossed with pinks from several
other hybridizers that don't have common ancestry."

Francelle, if you think they don't have common ancestry, try running your
pedigree chart back further.  *All* modern pinks stem from the same
foundation--the Sass blends, Dolly Madison, Morocco Rose, W. R. Dykes and
such, mostly through the David Hall breeding.  Most modern pinks are so
heavily bred from Nathan Rudolph's PINK SLEIGH that once could almost say "the
Pink Sleigh line" in referring to pinks from several breeders if not most of

After several generations of inbreeding a line with significant recessives,
judging from work done in onions and sweet corn, an outcross, even to a
parallel line based on the same remote ancestors, often produces an abrupt
increase in vigor and disease resistance--i.e., "hybrid vigor."

Other typical patterns followed are (outcross to non-recessive factor
character) X backcross to recessive-carrying line.  Melba Hamblen's VALIMAR
and sibs, and other similar seedlings where top-quality blues were used for
the outcross from Hall pinks brought about revolutionary developments in
pinks, as did similar crosses with Snow Flurry and New Snow by Fay from the
Hall pinks.

These out X back cross types are still being done.  Keppel's WISHFUL
THINKING-FOGBOUND sequence is one such, the "out" being a cross to HONKY TONK
BLUES.  Fogbound is turning out to be a fantastic breeder.  My own
(Swingtown-Schreiner orchid line X Romantic Evening--itself a product of
several out x back sequences) crossed then with Happenstance, Vienna Waltz and
Fogbound have produced some remarkable offspring.  I intend to cross the
progeny not only back and forth with each other but with the closely related
CRYSTAL GAZER and VENETIAN GLASS from Keppel.  That is--if I can find the room
to plant all the seeds.  From this foundation I should be able to go quite a
few generations before running into the typical consequences if
inbreeding--such as loss of vigor, accumulating unhappy recessives and so on.
Romantic Evening itself has a lethal mutation on more than one chromosome for
no chlorophyll in leaves, for example.  That is likely to keep showing up, but
fortunately is self-selecting, as the visible carriers die around the two-leaf

As to the Happenstance, etc. outcrosses, I might note that some of the
seedlings had very messy hafts and other distinct faults.  Even so, the
over-all quality of the crosses was high.

Neil Mogensen  zone 7 western NC