Re: Re: HYB: white vs brown/tan seeds

In a message dated 7/3/2003 8:18:17 AM Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

> The only white seeds I've seen have been in pods that rotted and I
> thought some experienced person here had said that they thought if the
> seeds were still white when harvested, they usually aren't mature enough
> to germinate.

I, too, have only seen white seeds in pods that I've opened early, either due
to rot or other damage. However, I would advise drying and planting anything
that has been set approximately one month (give or take days for climate).
Don't know if I'd go through the refrigeration techniques, but I'd definitely
pop them in a pot of soil and give them a chance.  Several year ago, when I had
MASS rotting of pods, I found that they sprouted when harvested much earlier
than I'd thought they would.

Would be a good project to report here?? Anyone with the time and energy to
set a large number of pods for experimental purposes? Harvest at different
times and report?

I let a REMARKABLE cross go this year because the stalk rotted after about 3
weeks.  Laid the pod ON a pot of soil and promptly forgot it.  I checked it
yesterday. It's totally GONE, pod, seed and all.

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 (Not me, I've other projects I'm hotly
pursuing!)