Re: HYB: white vs tan/brown seeds

That makes sense to me.  And also explains why pods containing ripened
seeds can be thick and green here, nowhere near ready to split.
Especially this year with all the rain we've been getting.  The
ancestral irises came from drier climates where all that extra covering
would be dehydrated, probably more like you are seeing.  Thanks for the
details, Dave.

Dave said:
<I'm in central New Mexico, and hot dry weather may have something to
due
                   with the white seeds when the pod splits.  The pods
may start to open
                   earlier here, as they will dehydrate and dry VERY
quickly.  My pods are
                   usually shrinking a tiny bit and showing a slight
whitish tinge when the
                   tip of the pod starts to brown a bit and splits
open.  Sometimes the pod is
                   still quite green when the tip starts to split.  Once
the tip splits, the
                   whole thing opens up within a day.  At the time when
the tip splits, the
                   seeds are still attached to the pod, packed in
tightly, and are usually
                   very white.  By the time the pod is fully open and
dry, the seeds are brown
                   and wrinkled, and look like normal mature Iris seeds.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8