Earlier in the year, I dissed RETURNING CHAMELEON because I couldn't get it
to cross either way.  I immediately went out and tried it again. This year it
proved me wrong.  Although I tried it with several other irises, the only thing
it took on was LIGHT REBUFF, a pinkish orange of Dr. Smith's. It took both

This really concerns LB.  LB pollen took on RC and the blue amoena seedling
that has pink parentage.  Both took one pod only and produced 48 and 52 seed
respectively. LB x RC set 2 pods but only produced 13 seed collectively with
another 30 to 40 immature seed. Interesting??  Anyone have experience with LIGHT
REBUFF in breeding?

These crosses were not the first made but were the first to mature. I have
crosses involving plicatas that were earlier, but they've not started to spit.

Another observation. This year the pods are only turning a little brown on
the tip before they start to split. Most years the pods are usually completely
brown before they split. They did pale some first, which caused me to start
examining them each day. I have noticed they mature quicker here than at Alvaton.
More heat and more light.

Has anyone noticed certain plants that seem to mature seed earlier than
others? I've not made a study of it but found it interesting that the three crosses
involving LB matured first?  Just curious.

Betty W. in South-central KY zone 6