Re: HYB: pod maturation (was Light Rebuff etc)

I've been noticing & wondering about the same thing this year, the first
time I've had a number of pods on several of the same parents.  Pods are
taking from 8 to more than 10 weeks to mature.

HARVEST OF MEMORIES pods are taking one or two weeks longer (or maybe
more) to mature than any of the other crosses, except maybe YAQUINA BLUE
(which had HOM pollen).  The TB x SDB crosses matured in the shortest
time (shorter than all the TB x TB crosses), except those on HOM, which
took two weeks longer than the others.

HOM pods are still very green and solid, but I got impatient and cut the
top off one so I could see the seeds, and they were already brown, so I
harvested it.  The pod was older than other crosses that had matured the
week before.  The pod I cut into hadn't turned 'white' yet, but was
starting to show a slight difference in color.  I had to cut the pod up
with a knife to get it open, but the seeds were brown and loose inside.
I've never seen pods stay green and plump for such a long time, but am
guessing it's a result of all the unusually cool wet weather we've had.

None of the pods I've harvested have been brown this year, except a few
that were brownish on one section, as if starting to rot.  However,
other than HOM, 'ripe' pods have turned whitish and got sort of spongey,
and sections were easy to open.

<Has anyone noticed certain plants that seem to mature seed earlier than

                   others? I've not made a study of it but found it
interesting that the three crosses
                   involving LB matured first?  Just curious.

                   Betty W. in South-central KY zone 6>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8