RE:Hybridizing- Plicata etc.

>Sounds like you are having fun!  Do you by any chance self your ugly ducklings
>to bring out hidden recessives?
>Just wanted to say that I could have sworn someone stated at the time RAR was
>introduced that it was a new pattern and not of plicata lineage. So far, I
>have not heard of anyone achieving plicatas from RAR.  Of course, all that
>really means is that I have not HEARD of it happening... I wonder what you'd
>get out of selfing RAR.
>I have just collected a pod with 45 seeds of Ghio's luminata called RETURN TO
>SENDER crossed with Tasco's BROADBAND.  I am really looking forward to the
>results of this cross!  I am hoping for reblooming luminatas/plicatas with
>modern form.  Both already grow great for me and are vigorous.
>Right now however, the only thing I have available to cross are my
>fancy-tailed guppies and the F2 seedlings of my Zinnia cross made a couple
>years ago.  I got one that is a yellow with red splashes, interesting...
>Patrick Orr (irisdude@msn.com)
>Zone 9 and hot as all get out, 111 today in Phoenix, AZ
I sometimes try a self, but found that with TBs there isn't much take. In this case there are a number of undesirable traits that go with the desireable ones so selfing, if sucessfull would produce more ugly ducklings.

Ring Around Rosie and about 9 others have been introduced over about the past 12 years, all from parents  Ednas'Wish X Wild Jasmine, with some of these, such as RAR being two generations of inbreeding. Various patterns of these relatives. RAR looks very similar to Owyhee Desert and siblings, which  are from Wild Jasmine X Unknown. I suspect a selfed pod here. RAR is a new pattern but a combination of halo pattern (like Bride's Halo) and Owhee Desert. The halo is an addition, and not likely part of the overall pattern. Like an amoena plicata is a combination of amoena and plicata, at one  time a new colour combination. Wild Jasmine is a plicata. I have numerous crosses of RAR with plicata, with so far the only one to bloom is the Ruby Eruption (rebloom) X RAR. So far only a few plants have bloomed but they are all plicata, and non of them were anything other then plicata (100% so far) . If RAR was not a plicata then likely I would get about one 1/6 th plicata (from the Wild Jasmine genes or 1/2 if there happened to be three plicata genes. So far the best hypothesis that fits results are that RAR is a plicata. Of course I will need to have more plants bloom to tell, and that will have to wait until next year.

How about a Siamese fighting fish with polkadot fins? I picked up a Cambodia male with green iridesence (pet store fish) and blue and red splotches on otherwise clear fins. Thinking of breeding it to see if this pattern will breed true. This of course will require a backcross of F2 to father.

RAR still blooming strong here, boy is it late. Lots of tags hanging off it