Re: RE: Far off Topic: Fourth of July

Dave. I thought the 4th of July thing interesting  (I have a granddaughter
born on that day in Germany while her father was in the army and her birth
certificate from the State Dept. is fantastic)   I sent it to a friend who has
several history degrees and I thought you would be interested in  his
refutation:

"The history of the American Revolution has sufficient glory without people
having to invent stories.  Much of what is written in the article you sent me
is utter nonsense. Let me give an example. Thomas M'Kean (not "Thomas McKeam"
as indicated in the article) had a prosperous life after the Revolution. At
one
time his was president of the new State of Delaware and Chief Justice of
Pennsylvania at the same time.  He remained the Pennsylvania Chief Justice for
many years after the Revolution.

Another example of nonsense is the the story of Carter Braxton. Indeed, late
in life Braxton did suffer great financial problems, but these were caused by
1) unwise speculation, 2) foolish law suits which he initiated and 3) always
living above his means.  Braxton held high office in Virginia right up to the
time of his death. And there is much else in the article that is just plain
wrong.

Whoever wrote the article is not a trained historian. Of that I am certain. "

I have found so many ot  these propaganda-like stories are just that
type---stretching the imagination..    Rosalie nr Baltimore,MD      a very hot
zone 7
(have to complain about the weather, always!)   ryfigge@aol.com