RE: Re: HYB: pod maturation (was Light Rebuff etc)

<<Pods are taking from 8 to more than 10 weeks to mature.>>

I am noticing the same thing.  Some of the first pods, made almost 8
weeks ago still aren't showing any signs of maturation.

<<HOM pods are still very green and solid, but I got impatient and cut
the top off one so I could see the seeds, and they were already brown,
so I harvested it.>>

The same thing here again.  I had a bee pod on a NOID plicata SDB and
for the heck of went just as you did and cut the top off.  I found that
all three "compartments" were full of mature brown seeds.  I shelled the
pod and found 14 seeds.

I am interested in trying some "different" methods of germinating seed.
One that I was interested in trying was planting seed fresh.  Anyone who
has tried this:  What has been the germ. rate for seeds planted fresh?
Would the seedlings be big enough to set out before frost (my thoughts
are likely not) or would they have to be wintered over in a greenhouse,
cold frame, or in my basement under gro-lights (a technique a local
daylily breeder uses)?

I would appreciate any input, positive or negative.  Thanks!

Botanically,

Kelly D. Norris

Master Gardener/Freelance Writer

Bedford, Iowa

Zone 4b/5a

www.rainbowfarms.net <http://www.rainbowfarms.net/>

 <http://kellydn03.tripod.com/> http://kellydn03.tripod.com

List owner rare-plants

Newsletter Editor, Iowa Bluebird Conservationists