Re: HYB: planting fresh seeds (was pod stuff)

Zero percent germination of fresh seeds.  I tried this last year with a
few seeds from a dozen different crosses & none germinated.  I believe
Walter Moores has said he has similar experience.

Some folks on this list say they have germinated fresh seeds or have
heard of others having success.  The late Ben Hager supposedly was able
to germinate fresh seeds in California, but I don't know details - TBs
or something else?  Summer temperatures or cooler?

When those of us with no success have asked for details, insights and/or
guesses as to causes of our failures, nobody has posted anything, or
else I missed it.

Except that Betty W in Kentucky said she planted some seeds that matured
late in the season (from a rebloomer?) fresh that did germinate in the
fall but were killed over the winter.

My only thought is that the soil temperatures here and in Mississippi
are too high (i.e., higher than 80oF) for germination of TB seeds when
they are fresh.  Which is why I put a few fresh seeds in the fridge this

Ideal soil temperature for germination of TBs is supposedly somewhere
between 50 and 60oF.  Some of mine were germinating at around 70oF last
spring, but they stopped coming up and rotted when temperatures got to
80oF even though it was cooler at night.

A warm refrigerator might be ideal.  Cheaper than a growth chamber.

Or perhaps the cultivars that can produce seeds that will germinate
fresh and/or at higher temperatures are ones that won't live here.
Those dratted California genes again <g>

<Anyone who has tried this:  What has been the germ. rate for seeds
planted fresh?  Kelly D. Norris   Bedford, Iowa>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8