RE:Re: HYB: planting fresh seeds (was pod stuff)

Thanks for your input Linda.  Another question..has anyone tried soaking
seeds to remove germination inhibition chemicals?  Something similar to
soaking sweet peas or morning glories?  I still think I will try
starting fresh seed.  It's a bee pod so I am not out anything if I fail!

I was talking to that daylily breeder I referenced earlier today and she
treats her seeds with cold stratification by placing them in a baggie in
the fridge for about 6 weeks.  She then removes the seeds and germinates
under lights in the basement and sets out in the spring and ALWAYS has
bloom the second year after the cross was made.  My guess would be that
a similar regimen may not apply to iris or would this be something
similar to the "burrito" method?

I am going to experiment and see what works best for me.  I feel that
way I can have a true knowledge of how my usually strange climactic
conditions affect hybridizing efforts.

Thanks for the input and help!

Kelly D. Norris

Master Gardener/Freelance Writer

Bedford, Iowa

Zone 4b/5a

www.rainbowfarms.net <http://www.rainbowfarms.net/>

 <http://kellydn03.tripod.com/> http://kellydn03.tripod.com

List owner rare-plants

Newsletter Editor, Iowa Bluebird Conservationists