Re: Re: HYB: planting fresh seeds (was pod stuff)

I have planted seeds green the past two years.  Shelled the pod and planted
them in pots immediately.  The first year those pots went directly in the
refrigerator and came out in the fall when I planted those seeds that were
dry.  Last year I planted them directly into pots, but kept them out of the
refrigerator for about four weeks.  Once in the refrigerator they stayed
until I planted the dried seeds in the fall.  There was good germination the
first year, but not as good the second year.  On some pods there was good
germination the first year, much better than on the dried seeds.  Only one
pod treated as green planted seeds had no germination.  This year the
percentage of germination on the green seeds was not as good as the first
year, but most pods did have some and a couple of pods had really good
germination.  The first year germination was far, far better than on the
dried seeds.  However, many of the dried seeds came up this year.  So did a
few of the green planted seeds, but not as good.  My caveat is that my
percentage of germination isn't all that great with either method.  Some
pods seemingly insist on waiting an extra year before anything germinates
and some never germinate.  Certainly I'm satisfied green seeds will
germinate quite well, but I'm not sure it's gaining any advantage over dried
ones.  Those that germinated well might have germinated well anyway.  I had
several pods of the same crosses treated both ways and mostly the green ones
germinated better in those cases than their dried sibling seeds.  But I also
had several pods of the same cross where both were handled as dried seeds
and I still had one pod germinate well and only one or none on the sibling

My seeds have also started germinating in the fall with both the green seeds
and the dried seeds, though the dried seeds that do this were planted to
come up the spring before.  In fact, my seeds germinated all winter long for
the last two years and I've almost none coming up when they should be.  I
find they will handle freezes of short duration down to about 28F.  If it is
a long string of hours at 28F or shorter cold snaps below 28F, then I've
seen some damage and losses.  However, I try not to chance freezes on the
seedlings and it is accidental, or carelessness if you prefer, when they
have been subjected to those temps.  I do think it more likely the green
planted seeds will germinate in the fall and winter.  It doesn't stay
uniformly cold enough here to prevent that.  With all the dried seeds that
didn't show this spring, for me it's probably moot since if they are going
to germinate, I'll likely see them start this fall if they follow the
pattern of the last two years.

Donald Eaves
Texas New Zone 8, USA