Re: HYB: germinating fresh seeds

Yes, the same method.  The burrito method involves a two week soak in
the toilet tank to remove inhibitors, then refrigeration.  Some say that
two months in the fridge isn't enough for most TBs (wet, cold climate
advice), 4 months is too much.  I had best germination so far for most
crosses after 3 months in the fridge.

<Another question..has anyone tried soaking
                     seeds to remove germination inhibition chemicals?
Something similar to
                     soaking sweet peas or morning glories?  I still
think I will try
                     starting fresh seed.  It's a bee pod so I am not
out anything if I fail!

                     I was talking to that daylily breeder I referenced
earlier today and she
                     treats her seeds with cold stratification by
placing them in a baggie in
                     the fridge for about 6 weeks.  She then removes the
seeds and germinates
                     under lights in the basement and sets out in the
spring and ALWAYS has
                     bloom the second year after the cross was made.  My
guess would be that
                     a similar regimen may not apply to iris or would
this be something
                     similar to the "burrito" method?Kelly D. Norris
Bedford, Iowa>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8