Re: HYB: planting fresh seeds

? I assumed that planting fresh seeds to get faster turnaround to bloom
meant that they germinated without requiring chilling, but maybe I
misunderstood, and the advantage has only been that they would germinate
in the fall and grow throughout winter in California.

There was quite a bit of fall germination with the dried, soaked,
chilled for 3 months seeds last year, then additional germination over
the winter after additional outdoor chilling.  But leaving out the
drying time and 10 days soaking in the toilet tank would speed things up
a little.

Were the seeds plump when shelled or starting to dry a bit?  Were these
TB crosses or other?

Thanks Donald.

<I have planted seeds green the past two years.  Shelled the pod and
planted
                     them in pots immediately.  The first year those
pots went directly in the
                     refrigerator and came out in the fall
.......Certainly I'm satisfied green seeds will
                     germinate quite well, but I'm not sure it's gaining
any advantage over dried
                     ones.  Those that germinated well might have
germinated well anyway.  ....I do think it more likely the green
                     planted seeds will germinate in the fall and
winter. Donald Eaves donald@eastland.net Texas New Zone 8, USA>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8