Re: Re: HYB: planting fresh seeds

> ? I assumed that planting fresh seeds to get faster turnaround to bloom
> meant that they germinated without requiring chilling, but maybe I
> misunderstood, and the advantage has only been that they would germinate
> in the fall and grow throughout winter in California.

Or Texas with some attention.  I think they only had to spend two days
inside last winter (unheated porch), otherwise it was only a matter of
moving them inside overnight.  I think chilling probably helps whether they
are green seeds or not.

> There was quite a bit of fall germination with the dried, soaked,
> chilled for 3 months seeds last year, then additional germination over
> the winter after additional outdoor chilling.  But leaving out the
> drying time and 10 days soaking in the toilet tank would speed things up
> a little.

I soak the dried seeds, but except for those green seeds all those that
sprout in the fall were hoped for seedling the spring or springs preceding
fall.  I'll take what I can get when it comes, but spring germination would
be less hassle.  It just isn't happening at the moment.  More fall/winter
germination than spring.

> Were the seeds plump when shelled or starting to dry a bit?

Plump.  I get pods and shell them at the earliest detectable sign of
cracking.

> Were these
> TB crosses or other?

Other.  Many were from a TB pod parent using arilbred pollen, but this last
spring I also had some with arilbreds as both parents.  That's assuming, of
course, that all of those TB seeds are what I think they are without any
contamination from a pollen carrying insect of some sort.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas New Zone 8, USA