OT-PLANT: Daylily seeds

I agree with Walter, that daylily seeds don't need any stratification. I grow both dormant and evergreen types here, and seed has always given 99.9% germination within a few weeks. They are slow growing and increasing, and I think the growers have to plant a lot more seedlings for that one dazzling new introduction.

As far as bearded iris seeds goes, I generally harvest mine at 10 to 12 weeks, and can't imagine them being any where near ripe before then. They are just starting to brown, but still plump at that stage. I think if they were still yellow, you would have increaded chances of rotting if planted. If planting green, which I have done on seldom occasions, I would plant them just before they start to dry out.
My I. schacctii seeds were planted green and germinated rapidly. The only reason I planted them out in mid summer, was that we had a rain storm, and the pod was lying on the ground, rotting, with wet seeds.

This year I stratified 1 lot of iris seeds (about 12 crosses) and planted the rest unstratified. It confirms my beleif in stratification. Not one seedling yet from the non stratified seeds. Good germination from the stratifed ones.

Cheers, Jan, working her weed weary fingers to the bone in the iris beds, and enjoying seeing the 'last man standing' photos cos it means Spring can't be far away here.
Australia, not quite zone 9.

Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&referral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp