RE: Hybridizing- Plicata etc.

>Chuck Chapman wrote:
>   So far the best hypothesis that fits results are that RAR is a plicata. Of
>course I will need to have more plants bloom to tell, and that will have to
>wait until next year.
>

>  Please keep us informed as to what you discover and come up with.  I am very
>curious.  RAR is a good grower here, and I would like to do something fun with
>it one day.  Perhaps a cross with Splashacata would produce something
>superdotted!  lol
>
>  Patrick Orr
>  Zone 9,
>  Phoenix, AZ  USA
>
>  PS, Good luck on the polka dotted fight fish fins.  That would be
>distinctive for sure!

Here is the original description of RAR in Cooley's cataloge

"Ring Around Rosie (Ernst 2000)M 35                   $50.00
Fabulous new plicata pattern not seen before in the iris world. From the breakthrough crossing of EDNAbS WISH X WILD JASMINE, we have created a series of seedlings with purple plicata patterns on white falls with yellow rims. Standards are clean white with a yellow gilted edge. Beards are yellow to orange. Nicely ruffled. Absolutely new and different.
SDLG. QKF125-14A-10. Pictured below."

They describe it as a plicata pattern.
My genetic analysis of RAR is
1) halo ground  recessive --a carotene controlled pattern , seperate from plicata or anthocyanin control
2) y1 yellow control, may be alpha carotene as when the darker yellow is present (beta-catotene) the standard are solid yellow with ring only on falls
3) luminata-plicata pattern, controlled by plicata complex of genes, probaly involving a combination of glaciata and luminata and regular plicata alleles in exactly the right combination
4)absence of C/ntensity gene" the control of anthocyanin  that increases its intensity to the darker shades
5) presence of whatever causes  the Cmbrata" pattern where the anthrocyanin is absent from the petal edges.

PS: the male betta is building a bubble nest and female is making eyes at him. Looks promising.