RE: Hybridizing Plicata etc.

>chuck,
>
>Why is it that the iris you describe is not the same as the one in the
>description you published for RAR?
>
>Your 'genetic analysis' says that you have an iris with solid yellow
>standards, but the description of RAR says the S are white with a gilt edge.
>I pulled the picture and it looks to me like the description matches the
>flower.  Is this one of those cases where the flower just didn't bloom in
>the home garden as pretty as it did in the picture?
>
>I'm looking at the Cooley's catalog page and it  looks like WHISPERING
>SPIRITS exhibits all of the traits Cooley's names for the series.  Would a
>cross of RAR w/ another iris from the same strain give you a better chance
>of getting what you are looking for?
>
>I'm terribly confused.
>Christian

>Here is the original description of RAR in Cooley's cataloge
>
>"Ring Around Rosie (Ernst 2000)M 35                   $50.00
>Fabulous new plicata pattern not seen before in the iris world. From the breakthrough crossing of EDNAbS WISH X WILD JASMINE, we have created a series of seedlings with purple plicata patterns on white falls with yellow rims. Standards are clean white with a yellow gilted edge. Beards are yellow to orange. Nicely ruffled. Absolutely new and different.
>SDLG. QKF125-14A-10. Pictured below."
>
>They describe it as a plicata pattern.
>My genetic analysis of RAR is
>1) halo ground  recessive --a carotene controlled pattern , seperate from plicata or anthocyanin control
>2) y1 yellow control, may be alpha carotene as when the darker yellow is present (beta-catotene) the standard are solid yellow with ring only on falls
>3) luminata-plicata pattern, controlled by plicata complex of genes, probaly involving a combination of glaciata and luminata and regular plicata alleles in exactly the right combination
>4)absence of C/ntensity gene" the control of anthocyanin  that increases its intensity to the darker shades
>5) presence of whatever causes  the Cmbrata" pattern where the anthrocyanin is absent from the petal edges.
>

>chuck,
>
>Why is it that the iris you describe is not the same as the one in the
>description you published for RAR?
>
>Your 'genetic analysis' says that you have an iris with solid yellow
>standards, but the description of RAR says the S are white with a gilt edge.
>I pulled the picture and it looks to me like the description matches the
>flower.  Is this one of those cases where the flower just didn't bloom in
>the home garden as pretty as it did in the picture?
>
>I'm looking at the Cooley's catalog page and it  looks like WHISPERING
>SPIRITS exhibits all of the traits Cooley's names for the series.  Would a
>cross of RAR w/ another iris from the same strain give you a better chance
>of getting what you are looking for?
>
>I'm terribly confused.
>Christian

Sorry if I confused you. 1) Halo ground recessive = halo on standards and falls
2) y1 yellow control, may be alpha carotene as when the darker yellow is present (beta-catotene) the standard are solid yellow with ring only on falls

The yellow halo (mentioned in "1)") is a tricky genetic trait. It is recessive and seems  to be only in a pale yellow whereas the darker yellow (beta -carotene) never shows in a halo, at least I have never seen it. Thus the yellow pigment has to be the paler yellow , probably alpha-carotene. Thus the speculation on y1 control. I was trying to explain that the halo would only show itself if there was no beta-carotene. If beta-carotene was present, then instead   of a halo on standards and falls, you would get solid standards and yellow rim on falls. Thus halo genetic factor by itself would not produce the halo on standards without some other factor present. The other possibility is an intensity factor for the yellow. That is if the intensity factor is present then there is more yellow pigment , a darker colour and the halo on the standards becomes a solid standard rather then a rim. I have done work to get a good halo iris that will grow in my climate. Evertime I get a good one it surcomes to the climate. The best halo variety up to RAR had been Bride's Halo, which has been an iffy grower and poor performer here. My work with the halos has convinced me that there are at least two genes controlling this, and both have to be present   in order to get a good halo, as seen in RAR. (By the way I seem to have a pod from RAR X Bride's Halo)

Another factor I didn't mention is the amoena factor. As RAR is also an ameona. All in all RAR is a rather remarkable genetic pool. Especially valuable for me as its the only halo and only WILD GINGER descendent that grows and performs well for  me.

I have crossed RAR with some of its relatives but I don't know if I have any pod set yet as its only been done in the past week or so. WHISPERING SPIRIT and CARNIVAL RIDE have not bloomed for me, both sulking.

--