AIS: Serious Stuff about Judges' Ballots

Catherine Button wrote:

>>> I would dearly love to see the due date for the judges
ballot for the AIS awards be moved to a later date. It certainly
was a late season of iris bloom this year herein New Jersey zone
6b, and it served to show how nearly impossible it would be to
ever vote a ballot in time if I lived in zone 4 or the like! <<<

Catherine,

You think you have a problem in New Jersey voting the Awards
Ballot?  I am an AIS Garden Judge in USDA Zone 3a. I hope your
sentiments were included with your ballot about the incredibly
impossible AIS deadline.

** For the second year in a row (maybe third), I voted UNDER
PROTEST and I also sent E. Roy Epperson a personal e-mail
outlining the reasons. I intend to formally ask the AIS Board of
Directors for time to address the Board at the AIS Fresno
Convention. This is that serious to me. I am not optimistic
about the chances of getting the voting deadline changed.

For those of us in USDA Zones 3 & 4, I will ask for July 15th as
a 'minimum' for the bearded classes and hopefully Aug. 1st for
Siberians. I still have Siberians in blooming (first bloom)
today, July 8th.

I will not even touch on voting electronically...

*This is a necessity for us not a convenience.*  No question, we
will be voting electronically in the future but that is not a
burning issue here. I just want to be able to vote and see
gardens in bloom, etc.

There are very few AIS Judges in USDA Zones 3 & 4 and I may be
the only AIS Judge left in USDA Zone 3 after Carryl Meyer from
Montana passed away.

**Also, the Japanese portion of the ballot is also a problem
having a due date of Aug. 1st. A couple of years I even had
Japanese irises blooming after Labor Day. **

Ellen Gallagher,
AIS Garden Judge (who always votes the ballot as best I can
since it is a REQUIREMENT for keeping my AIS Judging
credentials)

=====
Ellen Gallagher <ellengalla@yahoo.com>/ Berlin, New Hampshire/ USDA Zone 3

IRISES: http://www.irises.org