Re: AIS: Serious Stuff about Judges' Ballots

--- Catherine Button <cathy@pav.research.panasonic.com> wrote:

> [...]
may be >>> >

>>>I heard tell there are a few in Canada. <<<

Of course _but_ the AIS Judges in Ontario (that is where they
are located) are not as cold me. I live north of most of them
and in a higher elevation. I think the minimum low of the AIS
Canadian Judges would translate into USDA Zone 4b or
thereabouts...maybe Zone USDA 5a. The Canadian growing zones are
different than ours and have been tweaked again and changed.

I watch those low temps daily during the winter all over the
map. No other AIS Judge seems to be colder than we are or has
later bloom according to the reports...taking the Siberian
species, Iris typhifolia as a prime example. That Chinese
species is the earliest Siberian bloom in gardens.
Catherine, I didn't see a great deal of interest in changing the
deadline date for the ballots excepting you and me. I have to
part company with you for the Sept. 1st deadline...I think that
is too late and asking for too much. Even I might forget to
vote! Keeping in mind how, when and why the tabulators need the

Another point: I am going ahead with my request pushing for
_only_ AIS Judges in USDA Zones 4 and 3. I think there are  so
few of us that giving a 'dispensation' for a later due date
would NOT cause the system to buckle. :-)

In the long run, AIS would benefit by getting a correct feel for
what does well in the really colder areas and can only help the
hybridizers and the Society.

Ellen Gallagher <ellengalla@yahoo.com>/ Berlin, New Hampshire/ USDA Zone 3
IRISES: http://www.irises.org
AIS checklist data: http://www.irisregister.com/