TB: Innocent Star in the North

>Innocent Star has always been a very early rebloomer here, often times
>reblooming in May through August.  (yes May is rebloom for us).  I was
>hoping that a couple of the earlier rebloomers would produce some plants
>that will rebloom for even the coldest climates.

Mike,

I was hoping the same thing when I acquired INNOCENT STAR in '00.  I
started out with two big, beautiful rzs planted in different beds.  Both
made it through their first winter with no problem.  Only one clump
remained after the second winter ('01-'02) which was severely cold with
almost no snow cover. This spring, after another frigid, virtually
snowless winter, IS exists no more in my garden.  It never did bloom here.

I would suggest that early reblooming is only one important factor in
creating cold*est*-climate rebloomers.  The other is coming up with
plants that can shrug off the climatic variables inherent in the cold
regions.

Keep trying, please!

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net