Re: AIS: Serious Stuff about Judges' Ballots

>If HMs, AMs and awards are to have meaning
>and merit for the whole iris-growing community, they must encompass the
>entire growing geography of that community.  If not, then regional awards
>would serve the purpose much better.

I absolutely agree with both Donald's statements above and Ellen's which
prompted them.  That's exactly why I pay virtually no attention to awards
when choosing irises for my own garden.  They have no relevancy here.
Nor does the AIS Symposium in general.  I am more inclined to read the
regional Symposium results with interest, and I also read my regional
newsletter to note which irises are exhibited successfully in my region.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Beauty is as Beauty does ...
and what it does out in CA or OR where it wins awards doesn't necessarily
mean diddlysquat here.

Laurie

laurief@paulbunyan.net
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg/