Re: AIS:Judges

On 10 Jul 2003 at 15:17, John Jones wrote:

> Glenn Grigg wrote:
>
> >Catherine Button signed her post as "Garden Judge". I wan not aware that AIS
> >now has garden judges.
> >The AHS has garden and show judges, but i thought AIS has only judges who are
> >expected to judge shows
> >as well as in the garden.  Any comments?
> >
> Actually we have always been called Garden Judges. Our first
> responsibility is judging irises in the garden and voting the annual
> ballot. We also judge shows and the criteria applied to the show bench
> is different.
>
>  John                     | "There be dragons here"
>                          |  Annotation used by ancient cartographers
>                          |  to indicate the edge of the known world.

The term 'garden judge' is confusing because the garden judge also judges shows.

It was my understanding that the term garden judge was changed to Accredited
Judge sometime in the eighties at the same time a Master Judge could be Active
(AM) or Retired (RM).

It was used for awhile but some JT Chairman changed Accredited back to Garden
and Garden has been used ever since.  If there was an index to the AIS Board
Minutes, I think you will find this information is in those minutes.  If there was an
official change back to garden judge, I don't recall reading that.

There is a discussion on this somewhere - maybe on iris-l.

Anyway, this is something that has escaped the attention of the proper authorities
and should be corrected.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8