CULT: greenhouses vs coldframes

Listers,

I mentioned something about a cold frame, for setting out seedlings (should
something actually germinate this year) to my husband and he said he could
build one for about $100 dollars.  This clued me in that his idea of a cold
frame was prolly a bit different than mine.  When I asked for clarification
he was thinking of something 10' x 10' with a gravel floor leaned up against
the house, tall enough to walk into with a sliding door...  well, anyway, it
sounds more like a greenhouse to me.

Which left me with a few questions:

First, the two choices for location that he gave me are on the north side of
the house at either end.  The end of the house nearest the door, (which I
prefer from a garden scaping point of view) would cover the dryer vent.  He
said that would heat the greenhouse.
        1.So, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't cold frames if not greenhouses
supposed to be on the south side or at least facing south?
         2. Also, does anyone have any thoughts about the whole dryer vent
heating idea?  The dryer only runs on average 3 times a week if that, but
when it runs we often run it several loads in a short period of time.

        3. Other than head room, what are the comparative differences
between what defines a greenhouse and what defines a cold frame.
        4.  Those of you who have greenhouses what do you use them for
besides sheltering baby iris?  I've some interest in garden vegetables etc
but I don't know if I've enough interest to really warrant 10' x 10'.

        5. If I were to let him build a greenhouse, what features do I
absolutely have to insist on?  He's given me some idea of how he thinks he
can pull it off cheaply and I'm .... lets just say.... concerned.  I've seen
some of his toss together work and I just generally think if it's worth
doing it's worth doing right.  otoh I recognise that he is doing that male
thing where he's just trying to please me.

Appreciating any thoughts
Christian
ky