Re: CULT: greenhouses vs coldframes

  Hi Christian
--- Showtime Farm <showtime@bbtel.com> wrote:
> Listers,

>[snip] 1.So, correct me if I'm wrong, aren't cold
> frames if not greenhouses
> supposed to be on the south side or at least facing
> south?

Your right as your seedlings will need good sun.I
think the best would be to have a stand alone cold
frame. To use the house as one wall will only serve to
take away from the aesthetic value of both. Should you
ever decide you don`t like it attached to house, it
can`t be moved as a wall will be missing. As well it
eliminates the possibility of having flower beds along
the house.

 2. Also, does anyone have any thoughts
> about the whole dryer vent
> heating idea?  The dryer only runs on average 3
> times a week if that, but
> when it runs we often run it several loads in a
> short period of time.

  You woun`t get any measurable amount of heat from a
dryer vent, but you will only need to heat in the
spring when the ground isn`t warmed enough to keep the
frost out over night and very late fall.

>         3. Other than head room, what are the
> comparative differences
> between what defines a greenhouse and what defines a
> cold frame.

 In my opinion, a green house will have a controlled
environment temp. wise. Where a cold frame doesn`t.
Thus in a green house you can maintain a constant
temperature, say +72 F. 24 hours per day. Height and
size doesn`t determine which is which.

>         4.  Those of you who have greenhouses what
> do you use them for
> besides sheltering baby iris?  I've some interest in
> garden vegetables etc
> but I don't know if I've enough interest to really
> warrant 10' x 10'.

 A 10' X 10' isn`t all that big, if you start
expanding it`s use from just Iris seedlings you will
fine that you will run out of room very quickly. I use
what I consider to be a cold frame to shelter all my
various seedlings, in the spring, then come summer I
have tomatos and sweat peppers growing in it. So mine
has a good growable soil for a floor and I have some
12" deep X 8" wide, 3' up planters mounted to the
walls [full length of cold frame] for planting
radishes, lettuce and such for early use.

>         5. If I were to let him build a greenhouse,
> what features do I
> absolutely have to insist on?  He's given me some
> idea of how he thinks he
> can pull it off cheaply and I'm .... lets just
> say.... concerned.  I've seen
> some of his toss together work and I just generally
> think if it's worth
> doing it's worth doing right.  otoh I recognise that
> he is doing that male
> thing where he's just trying to please me.

   You have to be able to vent it as some days will
just be so hot your seedlings will get fried. Just
propping a door open isn`t enough, you will need cross
ventilation. If it has wooden framing the wood mush be
well painted [preferably white]to prevent rot.
 Hope this helps you out.

=====
Darm S. Crook
Zone 1 maybe 1.5