AIS: Types of Judges

The AIS Handbook for Judges and Show Officials contains a detailed description of
types of judges from page four through page eleven.

Each type of judge is described under a heading in all CAPS and/or boldface type.

They are:

THE STUDENT JUDGE

THE APPRENTICE JUDGE

FULLY ACCREDITED JUDGES

     Under this type is Master Judge (boldface).

     Then MASTER JUDGES

            1) RETIRED MASTER JUDGES

            	2) ACTIVE MASTER JUDGES

      Emeritus*  Judges**

*Really think this should be emeriti since emeritus is singular and judges is plural

**Caps and boldface inconsistent

Where or where is the 'garden judge' that some of you said you were?  Well, I didn't
find him or her!  However, I did find something about advancing from 'apprentice to
garden, garden to master' on page six. On page ten in a paragraph on an Activity
Report, mention is made of 'accredited garden judges' having to turn in an activity
report.

Yes, I know the Bulletin of the AIS lists a category called 'Garden Judge (G) for those
people who have less than fifteen years of judging. I guess that is so since we cannot
have two categories for (A) - Apprentice and (A) Accredited.  But, if we are going to
call those with less than fifteen years experience 'Garden Judge(s)', these people
should be described in the Handbook.

Again, something for the AIS Board to consider.   And, I feel certain I've heard or
read a discussion on this before, but nothing came of it.

I, for one, would like to see the end of this confusion.

The term 'Garden Judge' falls in the same cagetory as 'Queen of the Show.'  Both
terms are used by a lot of people, but officially, neither exists because they are not
described in 'The Book!'

Permission to forward this to other 'interested parties' granted.

Walter Moores
Enid Lake, MS USA 7/8