Re: HYB: Bleach and seeds

In a message dated 7/13/2003 10:36:58 PM Central Daylight Time,
kellydn@frontiernet.net writes:

> Would it be possible to soak iris seeds in a diluted solution of bleach
> and water to remove inhibitors?  I assume that the inhibitors are
> located somewhere in the seed coat which it seems to me that if the
> bleach removed the inhibitors before it got to the seed the seed would
> be fine and you could move ahead with culture etc.  Any ideas on how
> long this might take?  I thought I might experiment on some bee pods.
> Just a thought, I am very open to comments/criticisms etc.

The germination inhibitors in iris seeds are located in the endosperm. They
are water soluble. They are also ether soluble (1969 info). Excising the embryo
is another way around the inhibitors. Still, the most practical solution is
plant the seeds and let nature take its course. Regardless of the method used,
short of excising the embryo some seeds may take two or more years to

As a point in passing, sulfuric acid is used on some seeds to weaken or
remove seed coats. It is also commonly used to remove the lint from cotton seed to
prepare it for planting.

It is doubtful addition of chlorine to the leeching/soaking process will
improve germination results.

Bill Burleson