HYB:REB:Report

This report refers back to recent discussions on INNOCENT STAR crosses.

1510: INNOCENT STAR x RADIANT BLISS (not introduced yet) (EARL OF ESSEX x HOT
STREAK).

Last year this seedling poroduced a stalk in July (2002), two stalks this
spring, and has two stalks now (2003). (single clump) The first stalk should have
the terminal bloom open today so we can say that it is also reblooming in
July this year! RADIANT BLISS reblooms well, but later in the year. (Again IS has
not rebloomed for me.)

In an effort to intensify the yellow, this spring, I crossed it onto LEMON
REFLECTION, a good pale yellow rebloomer from Dr. Raymond Smith.  LR has
excellent branching and bud count with good form. (I reported this cross incorrectly
earlier in the year . . . as LR X RB.)  I harvested 3 of the 6 pods this
morning, and collected 115 seed.  I can expect over 200 seed in total.

Since these seedlings will be 1/4 INNOCENT STAR, and 3/4 cyclic rebloomer in
my region, I am wondering how many, if any, of the seedlings will have July
bloom.  I plan to give this cross special attention as I am eager to see the
results. I will dig a trench to bury the bottom 1/2 of the pots, and cover the
pots in leaves.  I've had my best germination rates with this method, but have
been unable to use the process in recent years.

Betty W. in South-central KY zone 6 (anxiously awaits the 2005 bloom season!)