Re: AIS: Serious Stuff about Judges' Ballots

John Reeds wrote:
> .... I only
> see two or three iris on the symposium I'd be willing to vote for, and I hate
> to waste a 37-cent stamp to legitimize it.

I see a lot more than 2 or 3 that grow well and are
really beautiful, and I'm sorry you don't, but that's
beside the point. Email voting has been an regional
option for a year or two now. Any AIS member wishing
to vote the Symposium by email should contact the
appropriate RVP. The ballot list is supposed to
be on the AIS web site, and if it isn't, it is
available at:

Laurie wrote:

>....  But surely the few judges we [cold-dwellers] do have
> should not continue to be penalized in the voting process
> simply by virtue of their location.

"But semi-tropical and sub-Arctic irisarians have the same deadlines,"
he said, mimicking Voltaire's reply to those who complained that laws
against begging discriminated against the poor: "Rich and poor alike are
forbidden to beg on the streets of Paris."

But rest assured, the topic will be discussed at the fall board meeting.
We cannot depend on having future counts done as quickly as this year's,
but I think there is some room for schedule improvement.

American Iris Society Affiliates Chair, Symposium Chair, and Director
in warm, winterless Los Angeles--USDA zone 9b-ish, Sunset 18-19