Re: HYB: Bleach and seeds

In a message dated 7/20/2003 9:24:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
chris.darlington@sympatico.ca writes:

>  Do you have information on the strength
> of Sulfuric  acid used or dilution ?

I do not know the dilution used. That being said, the deterioation of the
seed coat would be a function of both time and strength of the acid. A plastic
turkey baster and your car battery is a practical source of the acid at a
relatively consistent strength. I would think do one seed at a time until you
determine the length of time necessary to deterioate the seed coat to a point it can
be removed with a water bath.

Safety is always a consideration with such projects.

A point in passing: Ever wonder how canned peaches are so uniformly peeled?
The skin is removed with a lye bath. Then the peach is given a water bath until
all the lye is removed. Being lazy I thought "Wow!" maybe I could skin
catfish that way. Oh well, some things just don't work.

Bill Burleson